Thursday, January 1, 2009

Gluten-Free Tip: ELEVATOR SPEECH


As you know, people constantly want to know what CD is or what gluten is or what your problem is . . . You may even find people challenging you, as if the condition is in your head. This is especially true for young adults who eat socially everyday in high school or college cafeterias (where you usually require special meals or must brown bag your own food). It can be difficult to be patient, but think of it as a chance to educate others. Develop a quick answer or explanation that works for you - keep your answer short and simple, then change the subject!

EX: What is Celiac Disease? It’s a condition that makes me unable to digest gluten.
EX: Is it a food allergy? No, my body literally can’t digest gluten which is the protein found in wheat, barley, and rye, and hidden in lots of food.
EX: What happens if you eat it? It makes me physically sick for at least a day, but it also damages my intestine every time I eat it.
HAPPY 2009!!

2 comments:

pingponger said...

i'm in college, and people ask me about it all the time. it drives me crazy! my life is already very much controlled by gluten, and now it's taking over my conversations, too.

elizabeth atkinson said...

Must be a pain, but people often resort to talking about what is in front of them -- perhaps as the public becomes more familiar with gluten-intolerance the less they'll dwell on your food choices...